(via Getty Images)
Music is a BIG love of mine and Stephie’s. We frequently ship each other freshly burned CD’s with playlists ranging from 80’s to Sunday morning ambience to just random ol’ mixes. Every time I receive a package from Steph containing sometimes as many as four CDs at once, I get giddy knowing I’ll have a fresh new soundtrack for the next few weeks.
(No clue who this dude is, but I’m pretty sure he’s rocking out to my new playlist.)
Below is a random smattering of songs I’ve been listening to lately, which I’d be sending off to Steph if it weren’t for this snazzy new blog!
1. The XX – Intro – I’m a bit late to the game in discovering the indie rock band The XX. From London, they dropped their first album last year. This song transcends me into a nice little catatonic state for a couple blissful minutes. Just wish it was longer.
2. Passion Pit – The Reeling – This song makes me want to go out in NYC til 4 AM like it’s the year 2000 all over again.
3. The Temper Trap – Sweet Disposition – One of the best tracks from the charming, smart little movie “500 DAYS OF SUMMER.” This UK version of the music video is spacy and ethereal…
4. Kate Hudson – Cinema Italiano from NINE Soundtrack – During the holidays my mom and I saw this movie. We were the only people in the theater. That’s why it was perfectly ok when we ended up dancing in the aisles to this song when it came on screen. Makes me want to go to Positano immediately!
5. Cypress Hill ft. Pitbull and Marc Anthony – Armada Latina – This song JUST dropped and I’m not gonna lie… it’s pretty hot.
6. Timbaland ft. Nelly Furtado and SoShy – Morning After Dark – Another pairing of Timbaland and Nelly Furtado. I may or may not dance to this in the morning while picking out my outfit for the day.
7. B.O.B. ft. Bruno Mars – Nothin On You – Though this newish tune is played every 5 minutes on the LA radio, I can’t get enough. It’s got such a happy beat. Today I heard an a cappella version performed by a girl on the Santa Monica Promenade and it made me appreciate the song even more.
8. Girl Talk – Friday Night – I’m currently loving Girl Talk as the soundtrack to my morning runs.
9. The Heavy – How You Like Me Now – Is James Brown back from the dead? This dope song makes me wanna get up and shake my arse… oh, and buy a Kia Sorento.
10. U2 – Ultraviolet (Light My Way) – Live from Soldier Field – This song is dedicated to the one and only Steph, who sent me an emotional 10 paragraph email last summer recounting her religious experience that was the U2 concert at Soldier Field. This song, which happens to be our favorite from U2, was one of Bono’s encore songs. Steph should write a whole post about it. This video’s for her.
11. Tears For Fears – Head Over Heels – Because I have it on almost every mix CD I make for myself… and because it’s one of the best songs, ever.
12. Steve Perry – Oh Sherrie – In the 80s I used to stay up on Friday nights and watch a video countdown show with my older cousins. One video I remember seeing was this one; even as a 4-yr-old I could appreciate a great pair of worn-in jeans on a mullet-headed Steve Perry. Love this song.
13. Keane – Spiralling – Another fave song of mine and Steph’s; we went crazy for it a couple years ago.